The Blogger Spotlight section highlights people in the book blogging community whose work I really admire. Paige from The Paige-Turner is one of the friendliest, most relatable, and most active book bloggers I’ve met! She’s on pretty much all social media (definitely follow her on Twitter because she’s hilarious), but make sure you check out her awesome blog, too!
You can find Paige at:
Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr | Her blog
Blogger Spotlight Q&A:
• Tell us a little bit about your blog — what kinds of things do you post?
My name’s Paige and I’ve been blogging over at The Paige-Turner for 5 years now, though it doesn’t seem like that long sometimes! I often say that in life you need the 4 B’s: Books, blogging, bacon, and the Beatles. I have always been a YA fanatic on my blog, but recently I’ve been branching out to other genres like New Adult and, of course, graphic novels and comic books.
• What made you get involved in the book blogging community and how did you start?
I started out actually as a makeup blog but that quickly dissolved since I know nothing about makeup (even five years later). From there I figured I knew books best and no one in school really liked reading or talking about reading so it seemed an obvious choice to shout my opinions on the Internet with other people who love to read! After developing my blog I slowly integrated to Twitter and Instagram which has been a ton of fun.
• Is there a specific series that made you really get into YA books?
Not particularly! I’ve always been an avid reader since, literally, before I could read, when my parents would sit down and read aloud to me everyday. TV wasn’t a big thing in our house so reading was where I could go explore different worlds.
• What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year?
The Captive Prince trilogy by CS Pacat. It’s fantastic, and I can say no more about it other than, go read it immediately.
• Which 2016 release are you really looking forward to?
Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman is at the top of my list because I fell so deeply in love with Illuminae a few weeks ago.
• If you could hang out with any author for a day, who would you choose?
Probably Markus Zusak (hello, his accent alone would make me swoon), but also because I want to pick his brain about The Book Thief. Or George RR Martin. I’d have a beer with him and make him spill all his secrets.
• What’s been your favorite part about blogging so far?
Hands down, and without a doubt, the friendships I’ve gathered/garnered. I’ve never met such an inspiring and amazing group of people before. Some of these people have become my closest confidents and best friends over the years and that’s incredibly special that we share such a cool bond. Plus you already know they’re going to be awesome because they like to read. Double win.
• Top 3 Book recommendations:
– The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (hands down my all-time favorite and it’s just beautiful)
– Captive Prince trilogy by CS Pacat (duh. See above explanation)
– Saga series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (people don’t give this graphic novel enough credit)
• Any advice to someone looking to start their own blog?
I see a lot of people putting together “Ten Steps to Starting a Book Blog!” or “How to Get ARC’s!” and I say don’t read those. I read those when I started and thought I had to abide by all these fake rules (I still get mentally caught up in them sometimes). Just be yourself, write about whatever you want, don’t let it consume your life (too much), and HAVE FUN. Come into the community with an open mind and be respectful of others’ opinions and you’ll be golden. After 5 years I’m still trying to pretend I know what I’m doing, so just be fluid and make it up as you go along!
Thanks for sharing!
PS: Paige and I are co-hosting a July bookstagram challenge you should totally check out 🙂