The Blogger Spotlight section highlights people in the book blogging community whose work I really admire. Cayla is one of the sweetest people I’ve met in the book community! Her enthusiasm for books is contagious (and she is SERIOUS about her candles). She’s incredibly active on Twitter & Instagram and her pictures are absolutely gorgeous, so check out her accounts!
Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads
• Which platform are you most active on?
I am on Instagram and Twitter, and I am equally active on both of those! I have definitely considered creating a blog, but I have a full-time job and getting official reviews on Goodreads is a feat in and of itself. I primarily enjoy using these platforms to connect with other bookstagrammers and create dialogue, and I’ve found that, to date, I haven’t needed to start a blog to do so. 🙂 However, I LOVE to write, and I am always up for contributing to others’ blogs, when asked!
• What country are you from?
I am from Washington State in the USA!
• What made you get involved in the book blogging community and how did you start?
I have always enjoyed taking photos and books and candles (especially candles, if you know me at all, haha)! I used to read A LOT before college started, but once I got into college I started reading their textbooks versus my own reads. Now that I’ve graduated, I’ve started catching up on all the fantastic stories I’ve missed! In my day to day life, I don’t really have anyone who has a passion for books (or, at least the books I like). Because of this, I began searching for a community of bookish folks… and found bookstagram! The rest, as they say, is history. 🙂
• Is there a specific series that made you really get into YA books?
Nope. 🙂 I’ve ALWAYS liked fantastical stories, and I just gravitate to them whether they are YA or not!
• What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year?
Oh, gosh… isn’t THAT the question of the year (haha, get it.. year… year? okay, moving on). Anyway, it is definitely a toss-up at this point between Queen of Shadows, A Court of Mist and Fury, and Six of Crows. Like… those three books together have pushed me into a bookish hangover that I am STRUGGLING to get out of! And I am about to read An Ember in the Ashes, so I doubt it’ll get any better for me… haha!
• Which 2016 release are you really looking forward to?
EMPIRE OF STORMS. And Crooked Kingdom. I refuse to choose. I am so frickin excited.
• If you could live in one book world, what would it be?
I would LOVE to live in Maas’ book world (surprise, surprise). I know, I know – GASP! What about Hogwarts!? Guys, I love Hogwarts and I cried when I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter this summer, but gosh… Fae. Magic. I would be a Fae and live in her world and Rowan and Rhysand and… need I go on?
• Which character would you want to be best friends with?
Aelin. The end. I would be her assassin BFF and we would tour the world as awesome Fae assassins.
Rowaelin. Feysand. Kaz and Inej (Kinej? Inaz?) DRAMIONE FOR LIFE!
• If you could hang out with any author for a day, who would you choose?
That is a really difficult question, but I would definitely choose J. K. Rowling. She is Twitter-gold with a brain as sharp as ever. I feel like I could learn so much from her just in one day!
• Top 3 book recommendations?
Do series count as a ‘book’ recommendation? Yes? AWESOME! Then…
1. Harry Potter series, of course! There is SO MUCH about growing up that is dug into with this series. (I’ve recently purchased a philosophy book about Harry Potter and the themes are great!)
2. Throne of Glass series because it is awesome
3. ACOTAR/ACOMAF because it opens up a great conversation about feminism!
• What’s been the coolest part of the book community so far?
MEETING EVERYBODY! Wow! I could never have imagined that the book community was so WELCOMING and WARM and ENGAGING! I have yet to encounter someone who is stuck up, thinks they are better than others, or who looks down on smaller accounts. The positivity is overwhelming, which is, I think, the thing that’s sucked me in most about it all!
• Any advice to someone looking to start their own blog, bookstagram, booklr, etc?
BE YOURSELF! That is the BEST advice that I could give to anybody! If you try and copy other accounts, you’re stifling your own creativity. Too, people are drawn to authenticity, and it’s crazy how it’s so easy to tell when a person is being authentic and when they’re not. Just be yourself – take pictures of what you like – read what you like – pick the editing style you like – and just put in the effort!
Effort + authenticity = keys to success. 🙂
Thanks for sharing!